How to Save Water at Home and in the Garden – 25 Simple Ways
How To Save Water – Water conservation should be a natural and in our daily practice, for the whole family. It’s a request from an eco-responsible parent that is Gangeya: give some time to teach your children to respect the environment with some fun ways to a proper water-saving at home, and you will see what a difference, especially in the bills!
Water is one of the most precious and vital that nature has ever given us, although in our daily life seems to be a good inexhaustible and easily accessible; the availability of water resources of the planet is increasingly limited and it is important to learn how to save water at home, not to waste even a drop of water that we consume every day for our needs: personal hygiene, house cleaning, cooking, watering flowers and plants, and so on.
Now that remained of all, however, in our small way we try to optimize it as best we can. The water saving is an essential practice that everyone should be implemented with small simple everyday gestures. Since, using water without waste, not only means a huge saving on the bill but its preservation helps prevent water pollution in lakes, rivers, and reservoirs neighbors, caused by the enormous losses resulting overload of the systems local sewerage.
Here, we are going to discuss 25 very simple tips to save money, without too many sacrifices, water in the house, in your garden, vegetable garden, and courtyard.
How to Save Water at Home
1) Regularly check that there are no leaks in the toilet. A very simple test to do even yourself is to pour water into the cassette, the evening before going to sleep, a small bottle of food coloring (non-toxic and easy disposal). The color of the water walls or water on the bottom will signal a possible loss.
2) Minimize or even better avoid the use of garbage disposal or sink Sink waste. For this to work properly requires the use of plenty of water and also greatly increases the volume of waste in the waste, which in addition to the port maintenance problems to huge environmental problems. To reduce organic waste in a conscious and environmentally sustainable best to opt for domestic compost.
3) Check that all the faucets and pipes of your home do not have losses. In fact, even a small drop from a leaking washer can get to be wasting 20 liters of water per day. Imagine how much water would be wasted in the case of larger losses. A proper maintenance of taps at home saves water and money.
4) The toilet is not an ashtray or even worse, a basket! Every time I throw cigarette butts, not biodegradable toilet paper, paper towels, or other trash in the water, are wasted as a rule from 5 to 7 liters of water to runoff.
5) For a water saving water in the shower trying to take short showers (it is understood that a shower consumes less than the bathroom), avoid high temperatures and do not leave the tap open during shaving. In fact, on average, for every shower they consume from 5 to 10 liters of water per minute.
6) To verify that there are no leaks, another solution is to read the water meter for example before going to bed at night and once you wake up in the morning. If the meter does not show the same figure of the previous reading, then it means that there is a loss of water.
7) The toilet flushes consume on average to each jet around 10lt of water. It really is not, however, you need to use it all every time you pull the chain. Thus to reduce the consumption just adjust the internal float, but for that, you should call in an expert. While a great remedy DIY to stop the flow and make out only the water needed whenever we use the toilet, is to put in the tank a plastic bottle filled with water and with a few pebbles, which automatically limit jet.
8) Install the ventilated showers (but also in all the taps of the house) or with a system that allows mixing air with the water increasing the jet, thus making it more powerful, but at the same time decreasing the consumption.
9) When you shave, filled the sink with a few cm of water. It is not necessary to pass it every time under running water. This will allow you to save water by making you shave intelligently.
10) To get hot water more quickly, without having to scroll through a long shower or taps, insulated pipes with the special foam.
11) Always shut off the water while brushing your teeth. But even better it is to dip the brush and fill a glass of water for rinsing the mouth.
12) For an energy-saving and water at home, always use a dishwasher and washing machine only at full load, during the evening hours, on holidays, at low temperatures and opt for washing “eco” or fast. Make sure they are in Class A ++ or with the brand Energy Star for energy efficiency. In fact, the new dishwasher models and washing machine with this brand can save 50% of electricity is both less water.
13) Avoid hand washing dishes, but if you must, at least not let the water run while shaving and plenty of them. Use ecological detergents or even better detergents for dishes DIY.
13) When you wash the vegetables, close the tap! Better to fill a bowl or sink with water and with a little ‘of baking soda, excellent remedy to disinfect fruits and vegetables.
14) Instead of sliding plenty of drinking water (especially in summer) to drink and therefore waste it unnecessarily, to have it fresh, make sure you keep a bottle in the fridge.
How to Save Water in the Garden
1) If you are planting a new lawn or you want to reseed the existing one, try to use plants and drought-resistant grasses. In fact, many plants grow green and strong even without excessive watering.
2) Arrange a layer of mulch around trees and plants in your garden to keep the soil always at a good level of humidity. In fact, this will allow a slow evaporation of water and will protect the plants from weeds.
3) Try to use garden sprinklers in correct position so that water only goes to required area not the paved areas. Also, avoid watering on windy days.
4) The most home lawns need to be watered once a week, so try to water your lawn only when you actually need them. A good way to see if the lawn needs water is to trample the grass. If the grass moves means that can wait a day while it remains flat it means that it needs to be watered. Also, you can choose not to irrigate your lawn during the summer and let it dry out slightly. When he returns the cooler weather gradually gains strength thanks to morning dew and the seasonal rains. Surely you have a lawn that ‘the brownish, but how much water you will have saved?
5) Irrigate the garden during the early hours of the morning, generally better than evening ones as they help to prevent the growth of fungi and the occurrence of snails or parasites. Also in this way the water will be better exploited in the subsequent hours of the day.
6) To help keep your garden at a good level of moisture, preventing it from absorbing too much water, adding to the soil a little ‘of organic fertilizer obtained from the compost.
7) In order to greatly reduce the amount of water used for the plants and grass in general, a good practice is to strategically place, in the garden or in the garden, a barrel to collect rainwater, installing this later of the tubes to water or a simple drip irrigation system.
8) When you wash the car with the tube, in the yard, do not leave the tap open too long. Wet your car with a bucket of water, and used panatela running water only for rinsing. For further water saving, a better way to clean your car is to use a dry cleaning product.
9) To clean the floor of the courtyard used the broom, not the tube.
10) Check frequently if there are any leaks in the pipes, taps and fittings in the water system of your garden/yard / garden. In fact, the losses to external pipes to the house can, escape and be almost invisible, but these if not checked regularly can result in huge water consumption.